Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Tale of Two Universities

I am an alumna of two universities – Indiana University and University of Michigan. Now that I'm making a career in the philanthropic sector, I have a new perspective on the correspondence I receive from these institutions. I collect fund raising appeals the way I used to collect surveys when I was heavy into market research. I think Michigan is doing a much better job of cultivating me as a future donor. Here’s why:

Indiana: To entice me to send a donation, IU sent me address stickers. I like them and I use them, just like the ones I get from the Paralyzed Vets and WWF. I don’t send money.

Michigan: I just got a letter containing a “printer’s proof” of the Investor’s Report which contains the names of everyone who gave $100 or more. Guess what, there’s still time for me to make a donation before the final printing! And, there’s a matching gift challenge. That’s clever.

Indiana: IU sends me mail addressed to me and my dead, ex-husband. I think he was added to my record several years ago when we attended an alumni event in Bloomington. I never understood why they have to put his name on every piece of mail. He never went to school there. I sent back one of their reply forms asking them to remove him, but it did no good. I think I occasionally get a glossy publication from the business school, but the vast majority of the mailings are fundraising appeals. The IU Foundation used to call me. I worked at the Foundation for a while, so I always tried to be nice to the students calling me. They haven’t called in years. If they did, they might learn why I don’t give anymore.

Michigan: U of M sends me a wide variety of correspondence, both from the University and from the School of Business, via mail and email. I also get emails from the local alumni chapter. They send fundraising appeals, but also alumni news and occasionally very targeted communications that are extremely relevant to me – like an email from the dean of the business school explaining our ranking in U.S. News and World Report. That’s news every MBA wants to know.

Indiana: I went to an alumni event one year at IU. It involved a football game and a very nice dinner reception. It was fun, but it didn’t enhance the value of my degree. Let’s be honest - no one in Indiana cares about football and there’s no way they could have gotten a block of basketball tickets for non-season ticket holders. It’s certainly not why I went to school there.

Michigan: The U of M business school puts on a reunion every year that includes a one-day conference with great speakers. Last year Dr. Maya Angelou gave the keynote. I used to attend every year when I lived closer. Oh yeah, there’s also an opportunity to go to a football game if you like.

No comments: